Tuesday 17 November 2009

Knives for a pro!

At work we are getting more interest in bushcraft style sessions. So today I had been out buying knives, saws and axes. These will be used for preparing firewood, whittling and shelter building. I am quite pleased with what I have managed to find locally to me without having to mail order the tools of the trade from miles away as this seems to defeat the principle of preparing of the land. All this combined with a trip to the bank, it’s OK I went to the bank before buying the tools.


In my selection I now have: a Gerber (rather worryingly named) sport axe, must be for the American market, the good thing about this axe is that it comes supplied with a tough cordura head cover. A Bahco Laplander folding saw which is the same as the Sandvik version recommended in Ray Mears' Essential Bushcraft book. I have also chosen Mora knives as student knives since they have seemingly good quality blades for the money and are bright blue, with ugly handle which means that they should be seen if left on the ground. The Mora knives are also at a price where we can afford to replace as needed, so students get given sharp tools thus reducing the pressure that needs to be exerted to make a cut; safer in my opinion. I also treated myself to a new Helle Godbit knife which is the one in the photo with the attractive wooden handle.

I am really looking forward to getting out into the centre grounds and trying these out. I should also be organising a day or two of training for staff and friends in bushcraft skills in December. I hope these will be mini seminar based where each person attending presents on a different subject, a Stone Soup course as Sam from Totem Development calls it.

No comments:

Post a Comment